Thursday, August 9, 2007

Girls Camp

What an adventure Girls Camp was this year. Every other year all the girls go to Kolob in Zions National Park as a stake, and on the other years they have a ward camp. This year was Stake Camp in Kolob. I had a great camp director who was basically making sure all the details were taken care of, and the Stake was in charge of the major things. Well, 4 days before we were supposed to head off, I got a call from the Stake YW president saying that Girls Camp was cancelled because of the fires in Utah. YIKES! The Stake planned a day activity the next week, but then it was up to us to figure out another plan. I talked to my camp director, and we decided to have a ward camp. I was on the phone for hours straight for the next couple of days trying to research and find a place, and then getting details in order. We ended up going to Pine Valley (about 30 minutes outside of St. George) which was beautiful. We did all the fun and silly Girls Camp activities. I organized an Iron Rod activity. I set up a rope course around trees and down into ditches and through bushes. Then, one of the nights we had a devotional on being anchored to Christ and holding to the Iron Rod. Afterwards we took the girls, one by one, and blindfolded them and told them to hold to the rod until they got to the end. I was so impressed by how reverent and quiet they were through the whole activity - most of them were really thinking about the parallels it could make to their own lives. We had a little discussion about the activity when all the girls were done, and I think they all really got something important from it. One of the nights I went into a a tent with some of the older girls to play cards. Try as I might to keep them quiet (the camp ground had quiet hours after 10 PM), it just didn't work out. After a couple of the other leaders came over to quiet us down, we decided we better end it for the night - HE HE HE. Anyway, it was a great time, and it reminded me once again why I love Girls Camp so much.

On to other news. We have had a house full of company this summer. My brothers and niece were here for two weeks last month as well as Sean's sister for one of those weeks and his other sister and friend for a weekend. Then Kyra came for a week (to help out with the kids while I was gone to Girls Camp). Last week, we were just back to our little family and there was no big trip to plan for and no church activities to organize. AHHH. It felt so weird - and nice. I played with the kids and read Harry Potter like a mad woman. Good times. We are going camping this weekend, and then Sean's parents are coming in a couple of weeks, and then we are going camping again with a bunch of my family over Labor Day weekend. Anyway, things are good here.

We are hoping to get the go ahead this month regarding moving to Kingman. Then we are going to get cracking on options (building or buying a house). I'm sure that that is going to be crazy, but super fun too. Well, I love you all and hope things are happy and good for you.

Tera

No comments: